Re: [linux-audio-user] Gentoo and Tascam US-122 USB audio interface

From: Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 19:19:19 EET

> I compiled support for my US-122 right into the kernel.

as module?

> Gentoo
> seems to have installed alsa-{lib,utils,tools} as dependancies
> for other things.
> guess that the kernel driver is enough.  Is that true?

yes. You only need external ALSA drivers if you want to install very
recent versions of the drivers.

> lspci shows:
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1604:8006 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface
> without fw)
>
> But I don't get a device for the unit, and the USB light on the unit
> does not light up, although the power light does.

I'm not familiar with this device, but is ALSA running and is the module
loaded?

/etc/init.d/alsa start
modprobe snd-usb-usx2y nrpacks=1

> Information on USB audio seems fairly scarce out there.  I'm
> not sure what to do next.

For other USB-audio-devices it's just as simple as modprobe
snd_usb_audio and you're done. AFAIK the Tascam additionally needs to
load a firmware:

emerge media-sound/alsa-firmware
vi /etc/modules.d/alsa

[...]

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-usx2y nrpacks=1

Best regards

ce