Re: [linux-audio-user] Netjack et al.

From: <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 21:02:45 EET

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:11:55PM +0000, chris beagles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Firstly i would just like to say how useful this list is, i have been
> subscribed for a few months now, but never put any input in.
>
> Now to my problem/issue:
>

> In my studio i have 2 pc's running ubuntu, 1 upstairs in the recording
> bit, and 1 downstairs used for the actual recording.
>
> The 2 Pc's are connected via LAN and i can ssh into them. What i want
> is to be able to play back things from the downstairs pc through the
> upstairs ones speakers.
>
> I could just run up some more cables but that seems excessive.
>
> A quick google made me have a look at netjack, though i cant seem to
> install it. Have untared the file and done a sudo scon
> -path-to-jack='/home/jack-source/'

if that was the actual commandline you gave, it will not work.

you need libsamplerate-dev, libasound-dev and jack-dev

first... untar the jack-source and ./configure and make.

then untar netjack and enter the directory...

then type:

scons -jack_source_dir=/home/jack-source

but it should rather be somthing like:

scons -jack_source_dir=~/jack-audio-connection-kit-0.99.0

no sudo required at this point.
if your jackd is intalled into /usr then scons -i as root should install
it.

otherwise copy jack_net.so to the location where jackd is looking for
drivers.

i am about to release netjack-0.10 which has much improved alsa_in and
alsa_out clients.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language