[linux-audio-user] Re: Free Music Factory

From: Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 21:48:32 EET

>From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
>
>_Many_ things suck if put next to Yello.
>Now this could be interpreted like you think that CD sucks
>because it lacks in sound quality. Now is that what you mean?
>Try being specific, damnit.

Most probably it is all: the sounds, the vocals, the effects,
weaknesses in the composition.

I re-checked the startabcontest material: 19 instrumental effects,
17 loops, 11 percussion loops, 4 choir loops, and vocals, each with
multiple versions. Yet it is only one song.

The stereo image of the samples is wide. That makes much to the
quality.

>Maybe the Yello guys do not have "only" skills and many years
>of experience, but also the best equipment? I don't see
>online collaborations helping on, of all aspects, "sound
>quality". Exchanging 32 bit float wavs over the net?

The precision of the files has nothing to do with this kind
of quality.

We need also collaborate with people who knows how to add
the quality. They could come up with plugin arrangements
and presets for variety of tasks. My own plan to was to write
an effect specially designed for vocals, another for drums,
but I would need an impulse sample of known good vocal reverb
and description of possible other effects in the vocal preset.
Anyone?

I feel we can do well without having the best equipment if
we know how to process everything up to today's standards.

Juhana