Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux for live performance

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 07:01:55 EEST

On 3/26/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> IOW you'll just have to try it. The ideal live Linux box if cost is no
> object IMHO is a portable 1U or 2U case.

I've been looking into this pretty hard myself. I just bought a
Roland A-33 MIDI controller so I could run Native Instrument's B4
organ software on my Ubuntu box. Whether or not Ubuntu is the perfect
audio distro is a matter of opinion, but the hardware end of things
isn't. I agree with Lee, having a 2 or 3U box is the perfect
solution. I just don't see laptops being able to compare with desktop
hardware here.

The trouble is finding a short enough rackmount case to fit in what I
would consider to be a "standard" audio rack (18" or less). I found
some here: www.mypccase.com. I have no experience with these people,
but so far they are the only ones I've found. Surely there are more
out there???

FYI, I'm running a M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard, which has given me great results.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com