Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Linux for live performance

From: Malte Steiner <steiner@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 22:24:17 EEST

cezar@email-addr-hidden schrieb:
> I don't care much about the laptop itself but the external audio board.
> As for the linux part I want to know wich apps are stable enough to use
> them live.

You need to care a bit about the right laptop and that it runs a Linux
in a good way. When the BIOS is to broken it gives ACPI highest priority
and strange things like interrupts in the audiostream when the fan kicks
in can occur.

pd (pure data) is stable for liveperformance and I use it regulary and
also in installations in exhibitions. Because of its flexibility it can
be an liveinstrument complete with backing audio tracks, fx and mixing
but the downside might be the complexity and the inherent steep learning
curve.

Cheers,

Malte

--