Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux for live performance

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 12:15:08 EEST

Hallo,
Lee Revell hat gesagt: // Lee Revell wrote:

> > maybe it's indeed best to try to create a kind of whitelist as
> > you suggested. And of course a blacklist, which could create
> > pressure on manufacturers.
>
> Right now all I have is some anecdotal evidence that many Acer
> laptops seem to have the ACPI/SMM bug. Can someone with an Acer
> laptop confirm or deny this?

I sold my Acer laptop. The MSI S260 I have now isn't completely tuned
for low latency (no VP-patch) but I don't get any strange xruns
either. It might be that the fan speed is not controlled by the BIOS,
but instead by some special chip. The reason I believ this is because
owners of the S260 complained with MSI, that the fan was always
running. MSI reacted in a very nice way by providing a new firmware
for the fan controller chip which makes it start at 60° instead of at
40° as before. This firmware is not a BIOS update.

Now I cannot test anymore if fan speed changes affect latency, because
the fan is always off. ;)

Ciao