Re: [linux-audio-user] midi note numbers

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 21:58:57 EEST

Klaus Kosten wrote:
> Atte André Jensen schrieb:
>> Let's take midinote 60 (sits on the middle of my evolution
>> keyboards), what would you call that? C5?
> To the best of my knowledge, the MIDI standard just says note number
> 60 is "Middle C". It´s completely arbitrary where this middle is. Some
> manufacturers take C4, so the lowest note is C-1, others, most notably
> Yamaha, take C3, so you can go down to C-2.
> Klaus
That's right. According to the MIDI Detailed Spec (version 4.2) on page
10, MIDI note 60 is Middle C.
This is the fourth C on the piano, and traditionally known as C4 (261Hz)
on the piano. However, I've seen apps refer to middle C as C3, C4, and C5.

*Brad Fuller*
+1 (408) 799-6124
*Sonaural Audio Studio*
See Us At GDC 2006