Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: midi note numbers

From: Steve Wahl <>
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 23:41:22 EEST

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:05:12PM +0200, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> "Paul Coccoli" <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > Just like how some apps use MIDI channels 0-15 and others 1-16.
> > Totally irritating.
> I was just thinking about this these days (as I started to write a
> simple midi editor for some of my gear). First I used 0-15, then
> I saw that all my midi related books and documents use 1-16 so I
> changed it, but now I see that I don't like it...

I think there used to be a draft of the MIDI spec around on the
internet that you could get (instead of paying the $50+ to get it from
the MIDI people). I printed it out, don't know where it is, and I
can't find the file now. Sorry.

I believe the standard actually specifies that the human readable
version of the channel numbers would be 1 based (1-16), even though
the binary version is 0-16. I thought that also applied to program
numbers, etc. But currently available online documentation says this
wasn't so.

If it was me, I'd display both the Channel numbers and the Patch /
Program change numbers as 1 based (1-16 and 1-128, respectively),
because I know my two synths (Roland and Ensoniq) agree with this.

Have you seen (a
rephrase of the info in the official MMA MIDI spec), or
(seeps to be the same text)?

Also, there's this early one from the days before General Midi, that
MAY be what I was remembering as the draft spec.:

And, getting back to the original topic of note numbers there's this:
found in:

(I know I'm not the only one here who knows how to use google, but
thought I'd send the links as long as I already found them.)

--> Steve

Steve Wahl
 If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it. If it's
 stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it. If it's not broken--keep
 me away from it!
   -- eldavojohn on Slashdot