Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Skype + emu10k1

From: Erik Steffl <steffl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 04 2006 - 00:41:44 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 21:27 +0200, Johannes Mario Ringheim wrote:
>
>>Carlo Capocasa wrote:
>>
>>>This give me hope. Maybe proprietary technology IS inherently inferior!
>>
>>Dunno, but, the IT-personell of my local university banned Skype after
>>they discovered it turns itself into a server if it detects good enough
>>bandwith after some time online. This server is then used to distribute
>>other people's calls. In other words, it uses your bandwidth for it's
>>own business without telling you.
>>

> Well, I don't see a problem with that, Skype is a P2P app - of course
> it's a client and a server.
>
> I'd just like to know if one person has it working with the emu10k1
> driver.

   I had it working with SB live 5.1 platinum, I had to play with mixer
forever to get acceptable level of capture, I still don't know what
fixed it. However regarless of volume level it was pretty smooth, about
the same as phone

   However this was done using a friend's skype on the other end, don't
remember whether I got echo working...

   my experiments were done using:

   skype-1.2.0.18
   alsa that comes with kernel 2.6.11