Re: [linux-audio-user] linuxsampler distortion?

From: Salvatore Di Pietro <salvuz_78@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 05:09:15 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:40 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
>
>>Hmmm, but sometimes I get it under JACK too, with realtime priority
>>and all... will try again later.
>>

> What soundcard, sample rate, ALSA driver version?
>
> This sound similar to some problems people were having running emu10k1
> devices at 44.1KHz, which disappeared when using 48KHz.

Well, not for me I have to say... I still have this "distortion/phasing"
(depending on buffer size) problem also at 48KHz with my emu10k1 SBLive.
It also happened with the others soundcards I owned: a couple SBLive
emu10k1, ForteMedia fm801, various onboard intel8x0, even with no xruns
even with every device on its own IRQ, from kernel 2.4.20 (maybe) with
lowlat+preempt patches to 2.6.x vanilla & -rt patches from Ingo Molnar
with IRQ priorities set, along various versions of ALSA and JACK from 5
years now, all built from source...
I also posted the problem (and a silly workaround that I was using :) )
on this list, and it started a thread you can read at
http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2005/08/0096.html

Then I bought an M-Audio Delta44 and the difference is huge. I own it
since september 2005 and the distortion/phasing problem (more phasing
than distortion, as i run it at 2x128 48KHz all the time) has happened
only three-four times maybe.
Yes, it is certainly not often. BUT, it still happens, even on this good
ice1712 card. :(

With immutated hope for the future,

--
           salvuz