Re: [linux-audio-user] Regarding the file sharing site

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 22:02:05 EEST

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 21:02 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > Is there anyone who disagrees with such a disclaimer/license for the
> > site content?
>
> I think it should be GPL, even if it's artistic work, but that might
> just be me.

So if you upload a patch for ZynAddSubFX and I use it to record an
album, I have to release my entire album under the GPL? I don't think
many people will want to use such a license...

That would be like Tama saying that they require royalties for every
record sold that uses one of their snare drums, or Roland demanding
royalties for anyone who uses one of their instruments. No one would buy
Tama or Roland products.

Music isn't really the same as software, and while I tend to give away
my songs as many others do, I don't think that everyone should be forced
to give away their music, or provide the "source code" to their album to
anyone who buys it. What exactly is the source code for an album anyhow?
All the presets for every instrument and synth and mastering software
and ... and ... ?

However, if the license is a deal-breaker for you or anyone else using
the site, I will have to have it as a mandatory option, per-file upload,
and it'll be up to the musicians who download and use the files to
respect the wishes of those who wish to place such restrictions on their
file formats.

Dana