Re: [linux-audio-user] Regarding the file sharing site

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 05:00:34 EEST

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 23:47 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> > I don't think that everyone should be forced to give away their
> > music, or provide the "source code" to their album to anyone who
> > buys it.
>
> No one should be pressured to do something against their will;). I
> just like to find some GPL content, cause I want to release my own
> music under the GPL.

Well, I don't think that the license of a ZynAddSubFX patch would have
to be GPL just so you could release your project as GPL. I mean, there
are tons of GPL apps that use SDL libs, which IIRC are LGPL. Right?

> > What exactly is the source code for an album anyhow?
>
> All synth code, all samples, the plugin settings; every part of the
> song in its rawest, most modifiable form;). For me, this suits me fine
> because I want people to play with my content. I want people to make
> instrumentals to my a cappellas and I want you to play with my synth
> code and help me learn more and reach the goals that I aim for.

Not everyone retains all such settings and raw form of their tracks. I
don't, and so then, if I released my music as GPL, or happened to use a
synth patch under the GPL license, then I'd be royally f***ed if someone
called me on it, and asked for my "source" don't you think?

> > place (..) restrictions
>
> It would be nice if your site could, as an option, be browsable with
> only GPL content. I sure would like to find out what material has
> actually been released under such a license.

IF we make multiple licenses, this would be an option. I think that IF
we do put multiple licenses, we'd put checkboxes so that a single file
can be under various licenses. For instance, if I release a patch, I
would like you to use it however you see fit. I don't see why I would
NEED to put my content under the GPL just for you to take any kind of
interest in it though... Because my license would allow you to do
anything with it, short of requiring your project to be under the same
infectious license.

I still question that GPL is even an appropriate license for such files.

> So, it would be nice if people could also choose GPL license when they
> upload to your site. Also, please don't require registration to
> download content and no ads;).

I don't plan on having ads, so hopefully once the site is in full swing,
someone out there will find it useful and donate a small amount of funds
to help keep it running. But this isn't a request. The project has only
just been started.

We won't require registration just to download. That'd be silly. :)
Uploading and commenting, yes. Downloading, no.

Dana