Re: [linux-audio-user] Trouble with 2.15.19/20 kernel

From: Bill Allen <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 23:58:29 EEST

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:22:05 -0400, "Lee Revell" <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> said:
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 09:59 -0400, Bill Allen wrote:
> > Hi,
> > On my laptop, I'm running ubuntu dapper. Using the 2.15.18 kernel, all my audio applications work great OOTB. Very few xruns. With the latest two kernels (2.15.19 and 2.15.20), when I start jack using qjackctl, it immediately starts reporting xruns at the rate of about 10 per second - and this is with no applications running at all. I'm not sure about how to go about debugging this.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> It's possible that they used to use realtime-lsm and recently switched
> to the rlimit approach (although, shouldn't JACK bomb out if started
> with -R and realtime scheduling is unavailable, rather than failing
> silently?).
>
> Try adding this to the end of /etc/security/limits.conf:
>
> * rtprio hard 99
> * nice hard -20
>
> Then reboot and try it again.
>
> If it still fails please post the JACK output
>
> Lee

I'll try to do as you suggest. As I understand it (which could be not at all) Dapper doesn't support realtime-lsm in any of those kernel builds. It uses Rlimits-Aware PAM. I've added myself to the audio group and as I mentioned, jack works great in 2.6.15-18, but in *-19, and *-20 it's miserable.

Bill