Re: [linux-audio-user] Motherboard recommendations

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 15:19:25 EEST

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 11:52 +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Hello,
> i´d like to ask too :-)
>
> BJaY schrieb:
>
> > for. I'm thinking of AMD64
>
> I hear quite often, that there comes a lot of Extratrouble with using
> 64versions of Linux. Especially, that most Apps are not optimized for
> and thus run in a Legacy-Mode, that is slower then running them on a
> 32bitCPU.

This is not true. Its important that myths like this do not spread.

What is true is that it is not possible to use shared objects compiled
for one word size with host apps compiled for another. So, if you run
your amd64 processor(s) in 64 bit mode, you will not have
flash/shockwave inside firefox since there are not 64 bit plugin
versions available.