Re: [linux-audio-user] Motherboard recommendations

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 01:15:18 EEST

Carotinho wrote:
> hi!
>
> Alle 14:19, domenica 9 aprile 2006, Paul Davis ha scritto:
>
>>> I hear quite often, that there comes a lot of Extratrouble with using
>>> 64versions of Linux. Especially, that most Apps are not optimized for
>>> and thus run in a Legacy-Mode, that is slower then running them on a
>>> 32bitCPU.
>>>
>> This is not true. Its important that myths like this do not spread.
>>
>> What is true is that it is not possible to use shared objects compiled
>> for one word size with host apps compiled for another. So, if you run
>> your amd64 processor(s) in 64 bit mode, you will not have
>> flash/shockwave inside firefox since there are not 64 bit plugin
>> versions available.
>>

> But do I have to run a 64bit distro on a system running at 64bit?
> I'm too trying to save money for buying a new system:)

no, x64 cpus run 32bit oses just perfectly. else noone would buy an x64
processor,
cause most people run combined 16/32 bit oses (windows).

but if you run a 32bit distro, then you can not execute any 64bit code,
even if
your processor is x64 capable.

a 64 bit kernel OTOH can run 32bit apps, but you need a full set of
32bit libraries (multilib).

and there ARE performance problems running 32bit apps under "linux 64".
i tried to set up a 64 linux,
and i got 10% less frames or so under quake4.