Re: [linux-audio-user] Motherboard recommendations

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 11 2006 - 23:48:00 EEST

Carotinho wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Alle 00:15, martedì 11 aprile 2006, Thomas Ilnseher ha scritto:
>
>>> But do I have to run a 64bit distro on a system running at 64bit?
>>> I'm too trying to save money for buying a new system:)
>>>
>> no, x64 cpus run 32bit oses just perfectly. else noone would buy an x64
>> processor,
>> cause most people run combined 16/32 bit oses (windows).
>>
>> but if you run a 32bit distro, then you can not execute any 64bit code,
>> even if
>> your processor is x64 capable.
>>
>> a 64 bit kernel OTOH can run 32bit apps, but you need a full set of
>> 32bit libraries (multilib).
>>

> As far as I know, you can switch the processor between 32 and 64 bit. The
> question now is: if I run it at 64bit, can I run a 32bit distro, eg
> Slackware, maybe with a 64bit kernel?

a) you can run a 32bit distro w/ a 32bit kernel just fine.
b) you can run a 32bit distro w/ a 64bit kernel with the following
limitation:
all kernel modules need to be 64 bit, of course.

but afaik, nvidias 32bit xorg-driver can't talk to nvidias 64bit kernel
module.
this means you need at least a 64bit xorg, and everything that's
required for a 64bit xorg.

32bit apps can connect to the 64bit xorg.

of course you can use an open-source driver, which does not rely kernel
stuff.

but i don't see any advantage in having a 32bit distro, and an 64bit kernel.