Re: [linux-audio-user] New sound card problems

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 23:11:56 EEST

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:34:33 +0200
Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
> > I just recently got an M-Audio 2496 card but am having problems with
> > it:)
> >
> > Under Mandrake 10.1 the card seems to have been recognised OK and the
> > driver ICE1712 [Envy24] has been installed
>
> Does it appear in /proc/asound/cards?

I've never worked out how to do this. if I try to load the 'file' I
just get 100% cpu usage producing nothing.

> > however no applications seem to be able to find the card.
>
> Is it listed in the output of "aplay -l"?

This returns
  aplay: device_list:200: no soundcards found...

> > I have also just got a copy of Suse 10 so tried that as well on a
> > spare hard drive. This time the card is fully recognised, and sound is
> > produced but is over-loud and distorted when running Amorok. Changing
> > volume levels doesn't seem to help, and the graphic display on Amorok
> > clearly shows clipping going on.
>
> When Amarok decides to send clipped data to the sound card, the driver
> cannot help.

I was very puzzled by this as an older version of Amorok used to work
fine under Mandrake, but I notice this uses the aRts engine (which
seems to not be available on Suse.

> Regards,
> Clemens

I am now in the nightmare situation of having a new soundcard which I
*know* should work (and be far better than the on-board audio) but
unable to use it on either OS :((