Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] netjack-0.11

From: <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 17 2006 - 13:58:53 EEST

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 01:05:29AM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 23:22 +0200, torbenh@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> >
> > Work is underway in improving the latency for big channel counts,
> > like 24in / 24out. There seems to be a bottleneck in the kernels
> > handling of big UDP Packets.
>
> Nice, I'm looking forward to the LKML thread!

actually i dont want to report it.
i evaluated "the irc opinion" and came to the conclusion:

- most people think udp is evil ;)

- it looks like i am the only one messing with BIG (16k) udp packets in
  low latency situations under high SCHED_FIFO load.

i am currently implementing packet fragmentation into netjack.
if that improves the situation drastically i would start reporting on
this. in fact i am pretty annoyed by the kernel.

i would be very happy, if somebody (sletz ?) could test the performance
of 24ch connections under OSX.

and i dont have an rt-kernel on the second machine so i cant verify if
its already fixed in rt-preempt. Perhaps we need some kind of rt-network
packet.

/me hides.

> (you do plan to report it right...?)

not really :/