[linux-audio-user] Recommendations

From: Ian Remmler <ian@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 21:54:20 EEST

Hi,

I'd like to get into composition and synthesis, but I am
completely new to this stuff. linux-sound.org has lots of
pointers, but since I don't have much background it's hard to
tell what is worth looking into. A page with example sounds or
music from the various packages would be helpful I think.

I am not interested in performance so real-time synthesis and
instrument input are not necessary. What I would like to be
able to do is create "instruments" from samples and/or various
synthesis methods (or combinations thereof). I would like the
ability to experiment with creating my own synthesizers as well,
preferably using some kind of programming language.

Then, I'd like to be able to compose music is some kind of
sequencer. A "programming language" might even be fine if the
syntax is nice. Real-time playback or non-real-time "rendering"
of the music would both be fine. Basically I want to dabble
with the synthesis/production/composition side of things, rather
than performing or playing instruments.

Any recommendations on what I should look at would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
        - Ian.