[linux-audio-user] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] troubles trying to compile new freewheeling

From: Dan Easley <daneasley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 24 2006 - 18:43:57 EEST

Thanks for the response, Nigel.

On 4/22/06, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi Dan. First I'd like to say I don't get on with Yum too well. That's just a
> tongue in cheek dig at Fernando, who wants to move over to Yum on FC5.
>
> Anyway, trying out Yum, with Yumex, just for kicks, I installed gnutls-devel.
> As you show on your post there is no specific libgnutls11-dev. I looked on
> Debian Sarge, and it is there. But looking in /usr/lib/pkgconfig on FC4,

well, it's a good excuse for me to learn about compilation - something
i should understand by now, but which i've been able to put off for
years thanks to Fernando. perhaps my struggle with this will, in the
long run, make me more useful to the community.

> I looked on FC4, but it's not available according to synaptic. Looked on FC3,
> and it's there. Installed it, and my usb midi keyboard got some sounds out of
> it, although running at 94% CPU, and then it got stuck in some sort of loop,
> kept playing, and I had to kill it with the mouse pointer of death.
>
> It's a shame, cause it's seems like a nice app. perhaps it just needs a bit
> more work.

It's worked really well for me on FC1 and FC3, using the low-latency
kernel from CCRMA and an M-Audio Delta 66. I do recall a lot of
crashes with the version previous to the one currently in CCRMA.

I suspect it breaks some rules jack has regarding real-time safe
applications, but it's tended to get away with it on my systems. cpu
load has been rather heavy, though, and i baby the system while it's
running (wouldn't dream of loading even 'xcalc' while it's going.)

> It would be good to find out from the author which distro he developed it on,
> and maybe installing that, if you have a free partition. Just be nice to see
> how well freewheeling works on the distro it was developed on.

a good recommendation, which i'll follow up on at some point. my
suspicion now, based on
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20060104.070641.a9e4abf8.en.html
is that there's simply something wrong with fedora's libgnutls-dev
installation. this my current lead. :)

--
daneasley@email-addr-hidden
dan@email-addr-hidden dan@email-addr-hidden