[linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering without mastering

From: Phil Mendelsohn <phil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 16:00:36 EEST

> Message: 5

> I don't think I explained it very well. The idea is to have no mastering
> (or
> minimal mastering - after this process) but to create a balanced mix by
> changing the arrangement.

Well, I hope I didn't misunderstand what you're after, but thinking about
it from other angles, my answer doesn't change.

I wish it had been that easy when I had to do arranging courses! And as a
mastering engineer, I would point out that you haven't considered that one
of the big things we do is to match *different* songs. Mastering is like
proofreading, if you're assembling an album (which people don't
necessarily do as much in these days of .ogg and .mp3). But it's always a
good idea to separate writing (mixing) from editing and proofreading
(mastering.)

As you say, though, all's fair when looking for inspiration! :)

Cheers,
Phil M

--
Dept. of Mathematics, 342 Machray Hall
U. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2