[linux-audio-user] Re: Smack 0.3 Released.

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 14:43:38 EEST

On 5/3/06, tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Saturday 29 April 2006 05:17, Loki Davison was like:
> > Smack 0.3 is now out. Smack is a drum synth, 100% sample free. It's
> > built with LADSPA plugins and the Om modular synth. 11 new drums in
> > this release thanks to contributions from Thorsten Wilms. These are
> > mostly covering a harder sound though include some nice metallic
> > percussion, shakers and snares.
> > You need cvs om to use this release.
> > Get it at http://smack.berlios.de/
>
> Please don't take this as a massive flame or anything, it is merely intended
> as feedback. I have not tried your application yet, largely I realise
> because
> I find the name you have chosen for the project utterly repellant. The word
> has no positive connotations for me at all. I wonder if more people would
> try, what otherwise appears to be a very cool idea, if you used a name that
> sounded more appealing?
>
> Compare the phrases "Now I'm going to teach you how to use a GIMP mask"
> and "Those drums would sound better on smack". I'm being deliberately ironic
> here, but my serious point is how do they make you feel?
> --
> cheers,
>
> tim hall
> http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim

I like all the connotations of the name. Your drums are on acid would
also be cool, but the name is already popular for another style. ;)
It's really related to hitting a drum though. I think it's catchy. I
may however have wacky taste in names. Khagan is one of my other
programs the word meaning khan of khan. Do you know what the word gimp
means btw? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimp_(sadomasochism)

Loki