Re: [linux-audio-user] Progress

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 22:44:18 EEST

On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:46:52 +0100
tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Monday 01 May 2006 21:19, Folderol was like:
> > It is a real struggle for me to achieve anything at all with this. I
> > seem to have a complete musical deaf spot when it comes to percussion
> > and have to do a lot of work for many hours to get anything even
> > remotely presentable. The result is it always tends to sound rather
> > laboured.
>
> Use drum loops, or even better do stuff without drums, release it on a free
> license and encourage people to do some remixes, you'll probably find plenty
> of enthusiasm for that sort of thing here. But play around with Hydrogen too.
> Drums are my weak point also, but I find Hydrogen very forgiving of my lack
> of talent in this area.

Drum loops are probably good for trying ideas out, but wouldn't work
for much of my stuff. I usually play live with NO metronome so there
are nearly always some speed variations which (in my opinion) gives a
better feel but can be a nightmare to synchronise with anything else.

Once again, thanks everyone for your comments. I think I will stick to
drum-less compositions (which most of my stuff is anyway). Also,
everything on my website is already covered by a Creative Commons 2.5
(attribution, non-commercial) license so you are free to play with my
music anyway.

If anyone is interested in adding drums (or anything else for that
matter). I'm quite happy to send a Rosegarden or plain Midi file
along with the ZynAddSubFX parameter file so that you can re-create
from source.

Thorsten is already having a look at Awakening The Avenger and I look
forward to hearing what he can add to it.

I will, of course, acknowledge any additions to the material I put on
my website.