Re: [linux-audio-user] The MySpace terms for content

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 13:50:53 EEST

Hallo,
Brett McCoy hat gesagt: // Brett McCoy wrote:

> Brad Fuller wrote:
> >Can you indicate how it violates the Creative Commons terms?
>
> It depends on the terms... I have selected the non-commercial
> distribution terms, which means no modifying, public performance, etc.,
> without permission. Myspace's terms specifically say they can modify,
> publicly perform, etc.... I guess it's really not a violation, but it's
> kind of sneaky that posting content to the site automatically grants
> them the license... bet a lot of people didn't even realize they are
> giving permission implicitly when they upload files to the site.

If MySpace or whoever is hosting your music, then of course they need
to be given the right to do just that: distribute your music through
their website. If MySpace is ad-funded, they are a commercial company
and are basically using the music hosted there in a commercial way: to
get people to view their website and the advertisments shown there.

But nobody forced you to upload your music to their site, they didn't
upload it on their own and so I don't quite see, how MySpace did
something wrong? Or didn't they have ads when you uploaded?

Ah, the wonders of Creative Commons' "non-commercial" clause...

Ciao