Re: [linux-audio-user] YASQ: Soundfonts and Audigy

From: nigel henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 18:02:30 EEST

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 13:12, Jonty Needham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yet Another Stupid Question: I have a Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy,
> with no soundfonts loaded onto it. I have placed the CL CD in and found
> no soundfonts with it. I do have the PC51f.sf2 soundfont, which I assume
> you load onto the soundcard with asfxload, but the last time I tried
> this I couldn't make my any noise.
>
> Could anyone point out what I should do/have done wrong/which friendly
> manual I should read?
>
> Jonty

Hi Jonty. Which is the exact card name, and on which OS? The fact that you
couldn't find soundfonts on the CD may indicate that the card does not use
the emu10k1 driver. EMU (emu10k1 etc) are the only Creative cards with a
wavetable synth that are supported. My CDROM has the sounfonts in.
Audio/common/SFBANK/CT4MGM.SF2.

Check the output of lsmod, /sbin/lsmod, to see if snd-emu10k1 is on the list.
If you have snd-ca0106 on the list, then that is a No-Go for loading
soundfonts, and would explain why you can't find them on the CDROM.

If snd-emu10k1 is on the list, check also that snd-emu10k1-synth , is also on
the list.

 asfxload is the Alsa version. and sfxload is the OSS version. On Slackware
10.0 which has both, asfload would not load the fonts, but sfxload did. Try
sfxload if the other one doesn't work.

To verify if soundfonts are loaded on the card, see the output of.
cat /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1 . Change the card No, for that of your
card.

If the card is not a supported one for soundfont loading, you can still use
soundfonts, but will have to load them onto Qsynth, for instance.

About all I can think of for now. Nigel.