Re: [linux-audio-user] Patching the kernel - question

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 18:58:38 EEST

On Wed, 10 May 2006 10:46:58 -0500
"Josh Lawrence" <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 5/10/06, Garett Shulman <shulmang@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Downloading kernel 2.6.16.15 and patch 2.6.16-rt20 is correct. The FAQ
> > likely applies to patches for getting 2.6.0 to 2.6.15. What error do you
> > see when you try applying 2.6.16-rt20 to 2.6.16.15?

Actually, if the -rt patches follow the normal patch name convention,
they should be applied to 2.6.16 not any of the stable team releases
[2.6.16.x].

You might be lucky though if the patches that the stable team applied
are compatible to the -rt patches [which they probably are most of the
time].

> Unfortunately, I did not save any of the output. I intend to try this
> again this week, I will post back to this thread with the results.
>
> While this may not be enough info to be helpful, I do remember getting
> something that asked about "patch already being applied, assume -R?",
> which was confusing. How could a vanilla kernel already have
> information from Mingo's patches?

If you use the wrong patchlevel [-p0, -p1, etc] the program patch might
get confused because the patchfile doesn't seem to fit. The canonical
way to apply the -rt patch to a kernel ist:

tar xjf linux-2.6.16.tar.bz2
cd linux 2.6.16
patch --dry-run -p1 < /path/to/patch-2.6.16-rt20
#if previous line ran without errors do:
patch -p1 < /path/to/patch-2.6.16-rt20

Have fun,
Flo

--