[linux-audio-user] Rip sound from a VCD

From: Peter Clarke <pgclarke@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 11 2006 - 16:53:42 EEST

Dear all,
I was trying to rip some sound from a VCD today. I was
hoping to play it in one ALSA application (Kaffeine) and
simultaneously record in another (Rosegarden or Rezound).
But when I tried to launch the recording application, it
said it had no access to the audio.

I also tried launching Rezound, then Kaffeine. This time,
Kaffeine said it couldn't access the PCM, and it played
without audio.

Does this mean applications can't share the sound under
ALSA? Or am I missing something?

I'm running Gentoo with 2.6.16 kernel, ALSA 1.0.10 (I think
- not quite sure how to check this).

Any hints welcome.

Peter C