Re: [linux-audio-user] Firewire devices and Linux

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 13 2006 - 15:13:59 EEST

On Friday 12 May 2006 17:48, Pieter Palmers was like:
> To be really clear:
> "... to be clear, they will work with [future versions of] freebob ..."
>
> There are plans to include support for more firewire devices into
> freebob, but currently only the devices based on the BridgeCo DM1000 &
> DM1500 are supported. And not even all of these due to some excessive
> customisation of the reference firmware by some device manufacturers
> (most notably M-Audio for the 410 and the 1418).
>
> Currently there are two other chipsets/solutions that are planned to be
> supported:
> - Metric Halo devices (Mobile I/O 2882 & Mobile I/O ULN-2)
> - Devices based on the DICE-II chipset, as far as the actual device
> manufactureres cooperate.
>
> According to my information, almost all current firewire interfaces use
> either a BridgeCo chipset or a DICE-II chipset. Having support for these
> two majors, and adding some smaller full-custom devices (like the Metric
> Halo's) will have us covering a lot of devices.
>
> In the case of full custom devices, like the Metric Halo or the RME
> Fireface, support will be completely dependant on the stance of the
> device manufacturer. So no RME support. Nor any MOTU support.
>
> To summarize: if you want to buy a FW interface, go ahead and buy one of
> the supported ones. They do work on linux. Some more advanced features
> are missing, but that's only a matter of time.

Thanks for such a clear statement Pieter. Great work!

I'm interested, how much of this work has been supported by the various
hardware manufacturers in terms of information or even hardware (? ;) or have
you bootstrapped this project entirely from the Linux end?

--
cheers,
tim hall