Re: [linux-audio-user] Alsa Midi patchbay/processor

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 16:18:18 EEST

Hallo,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> Yes, Pd can do all this, but you have to have Pd on your machine. I love
> Pd, but unless it can generate a stand-alone application (that doesn't
> require Pd) then it isn't really meeting the need.

I kindly disagree here: Why should a standalone app be better than
having an application written in a glue language like Pd is here?
Using Pd the way I proposed is similar to using a Python or Perl
script. Yes, you need to have Perl or Python installed, but these are
pretty standard on every distribution. IMO Pd is pretty standard as
well on a Linux musician's computer. And for this midi route stuff no
Pd externals are needed. Not everyone can programm in Python or Perl,
and especially GUI programming can be tricky with both, however GUI
programming in Pd really is trivial.

The real advantage of using Pd or whatever "scripting language" is
that one is not bound to the ideas the programmer had, who wrote the
midi translator: It's easy to add or remove features.

IMO there is no need for a developer to spend an afternoon writing
something like Qmidiroute, when in Pd custom translators can be built
in a couple of seconds. And one doesn't even have to be a Pd meister
for doing it. Proof:

  [notein]
  | |
  [pgmout]

This "patch" translates every note played to a program-change.

Ciao