Re: [linux-audio-user] Another song - asking for advices

From: Yves Potin <yves_p@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 15 2006 - 10:24:14 EEST

Le 14 May à 18:13, Paul Davis ecrivait:

> this is very nice piece of work. the echoes of pink floyd's "sheep" (or
> is it "pigs" ?) are nice and clear (next thing you'll say: "i've never
> heard that").

        Thank you very much :). I started this tune as a clear
album even if I didn't had it present on my mind.

> my main complaint would be that the drums, although the
> actual sounds are nice, sound too wooden for this style of music in many
> places. i am not sure what you need to do to improve it - its mostly the
> rolls across the set of toms that are a problem to my ears.
>
> the harp-ish is a very nice tone - zyn i would imagine ? i would maybe
> try to find a richer string pad sound for the whole piece if you have
> the MIDI available. the one you picked is a bit anemic, and could use a
> little more menace.

        I will take care of these advices, which are of a real help for
me. The problem is that I'm really not easy with non « wooden » percussion
sounds... The first harp is a sample of a harp, and the other sound is a
mix of Guzhen and Luan samples. Zyn produces only part of the pad, and I
realize it could effectively be richer.

> thats my US$0.02 ... glad to hear that ardour and these other tools are
> working for you.

        Great thanks to you and the software developpers, especially
Robert Jonsson, who provide real tools for working, and for making all
these software free (as in free speech, not free beer :) ).

Y.