[linux-audio-user] Samson C01U USB Mic Low Noise HowTo

From: Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 00:36:27 EEST

What's up, all!

Just treated myself to my first condensor microphone, a USB-powered
specimen of fiendishly convenient technology that includes a pre-amp and
d/a converter. For entry-level it probably doesn't come any better than
this.

I have heard reports that this device was noisy, however I was able to
fix that:

1. Set the device pre-amp to 75% volume in ALSA mixer.
2. Sing with your mouth right before the grate above the Samson logo.
The device is calibrated to be relatively distortion-free when singing
moderately loud, and this way you will have enough signal to be very
happy with the noise level.
3. Pop-effects are disturbing singing this way; the manual recommends
the famous engineer's trick of stretching a bit of nylon stocking over a
hoop and singing through that. I now have the privilege of asking a girl
I know for used stocking to provide some extra suggestive edge to my
kinky songs while doing something technically beneficial. Life is good.

Carlo