Re: [linux-audio-user] ecasound interactive mode

From: Stuart Allie <Stuart.Allie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 07:02:26 EEST

Hi Paul,

> How do you add a second chain in ecasound in interactive
> mode? I can create one chain that reads a file for input and
> outputs to jack, but if I try to add another chain I get the
> following:
>
> ecasound ('h' for help)> c-add t2
> (eca-control) WARNING: This operation requires that
> chainsetup is ... disconnected. Temporarily disconnecting...
> - [ Engine exiting ]
[snip]

Ecasound is not exactly intuitive... until you get used to it, then it's
the most intuitive thing in the world :)

What you are neglecting to do is to attach the inputs and outputs to the
chains. The steps you need to follow are:

1. add inputs with ai-add
2. add outputs with ao-add
3. add chains with c-add
4. select the chains you want to attch to a particular input
5. attach the input with ai-attach
6. repeat for outputs

A slightly quicker alternative is:
1. add chains with c-add
2. select the chains you want to attach to a particular input or output
3. use ai-add or ao-add - this will add the inputs/outputs to the setup
*and* atttach them to the selected chains.

One 'gotcha' to look out for is that when you call ai-attach or
ao-attach it *detaches* that in/out from any chains it is currently
attached to and connects it to only those chains currently selected.

>From the output you posted, it looked like you were trying to add a
chain while the setup was running. So ecasound disconnected the setup,
added the chain, and then tried to reconnect the setup but couldn't
because the new chain had no attached inputs/outputs. If you stopped the
setup running, disconnected it, then added the chains and attached the
ins/outs and reconnected the chain setup, all should be well.

Good luck :)

Stuart

stuart.allie
-AT-