[linux-audio-user] Re: How can I time-stretch the sound like this

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <kjetil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 22:43:56 EEST

Paul:

> Thanks for reply.
> I wanted to try by myself and I made last night a
> quick hack for extreme time stretching by using FFTs.
> I like the results very much.
> Here are some demos (the links will work only for few
> days):
> Original sound is this:
> http://zeus.integrasoft.ro/~nop/1stretch_paul_in1.ogg
> Stretched (over 60x) is this:
> http://zeus.integrasoft.ro/~nop/1stretch_paul_out1.ogg
>
> Please tell me your opinion about the stretched sound.

Yeah, it sounds cool. But it does not sound as clear
as granular synthesis at all. It seems to miss the high-end somehow,
but on the other hand, its also a lot smoother, and
the low-end sounds more like a new type of sound.
For comparison, here is a quick 60x stretch done in
snd of the same file:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kjetil/music/abbastretch.ogg
(If I decrease the grain length, I guess I could make it
sound more like the fft version.)

> The program is not complete (is just a quick hack
> written in about one hour), but if you are interested,
> I can put it somewhere on net (and make it usable and
> improve the quality :) ).

Yes, that would be nice!