[linux-audio-user] Re: quiting fsck

From: Paul <set@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 25 2006 - 07:03:17 EEST

Atte Andr? Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>, on Wed May 24, 2006 [09:08:33 PM] said:
> Hi
>
> In general I appreciate fsck running at boot from time to time. But not
> when I'm on stage trying to set things up in a hurry. Is there a way to
> quit fsck when it has kicked in, so that it'll run at the next boot, for
> instance?
>
> --
> peace, love & harmony
> Atte

        Hi;

        In general, fsck is invoked on all filesystems before
mounting. If the filesystem is marked dirty, then fsck does
something. (for the journaling filesystems, thats usually just
replaying the journal) However for ext2/3 filesystems, there are
two ways a full fsck will occur, that is if the maximal mount
count has been reached, or if the maximal time since the last
full fsck has passed. You can set these values via 'tune2fs' -i
and -c options. On a laptop especially, turning off the maximal
mount count is helpful, and if you dont want any unexpected
fsckage, then disable the maximal time too.

eg.: tune2fs -c0 -i0 /dev/hda1

        Another method of controling long fsck times, is to
stagger these settings, so that all the filesystems dont get
fscked at the same time, but thats not helpful if you just have
one large filesystem for the most part.
        The reason these options exist, is because there are more
ways than just graceless shutdown (leaving the fs marked 'dirty')
that can corrupt a filesystem, and its a good idea to force a
check every once in a while.
        I think most distributions will have a flag you can set, that
will either force an unconditional fsck next boot, or skip all fsckage.
eg. under gentoo, creating a file /fastboot skips fscking, and creating
a file /forcefsck does just that. These are one-shot flags and are
removed after the boot. (and obviously you have to think to set them
before shutting down, in anticipation of the next boot;)
        Interrupting (^C) a 'benign' fsck shouldnt hurt you, but if fsck is
actually doing any repairs, I wouldnt touch it.

Paul
set@email-addr-hidden