[linux-audio-user] My two best songs so far

From: John Anderson <ardour@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 23:37:30 EEST

Hi y'all

Both songs use Ardour & jack to hang it all together, drums sequenced by
Rosegarden and fluidsynth playing the fluid soundfont and ns-kitfree.

With LADSPA - Freeverb, SC1, 4-band parametric, TAP de-esser on one
track. Mono amplifier and low and high pass filters in some places. I
did send the songs through jamin at some point and liked the results,
but I can't remember if it's these versions or not. Many thanks to
authors and contributors for these programs.

I'd love to say what genre they're in, but I don't know. World-music-ish
would be the closest. I like to use real instruments played by real
people, and I try to keep effects to a minimum.

2.7M, 3:45.
http://www.semiosix.com/songs/firelightless.ogg

One of those songs that just came together all of a sudden. I remember
running dripping out of the shower to write down the lyrics.

Made with electric & acoustic guitar, fretless bass, violin and cello
initially by Rosegarden. Later I recorded live (non-free) violin and
cello with the help of a bcf2000, which sadly isn't working 100% for
some reason.

3.1M, 4:01.
http://www.semiosix.com/songs/thirty.ogg

This song started life about 15 years ago on acoustic guitar. Electric
guitar, fretless bass, drums, percussion and vocals added in the last
year or so. I've posted it here before, and I've improved it since then.
I'm still not happy with the sequenced percussion track, but my
percussion skills aren't up to that particular task.

Of course, I wouldn't be posting these here if I didn't welcome feedback
of all kinds. I'm especially interested in what feelings the songs evoke
and what mental movies you see.

thanks in advance
John