Re: [linux-audio-user] listening to livestream of german radio

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 19:00:48 EEST

Hallo Julien,
Julien Claassen hat gesagt: // Julien Claassen wrote:

> I tried to listen to the livestreams of dlf and dradiokultur
> www.dradio.de
> They have a new - no two new - oggstreams. I tried play9ing them with
> mplayer/ogg123 and mpg123 respectively, but it didn't work
> Has anyone tried the following stream:
> http://dradio-live.ogg.t-bn.de/dlf_high.ogg
> Frank Barknecht: Do you know anything about this?

Of course I do, I was co-responsible for setting them up, smile.

We have two streams for each program: low and high. Low should be okay
for ISDN connections, it's variable bitrate at around 56 kBit/s with a
samplerate of 32 kHz. "high" is quality-encoded currently, so the
bitrate can vary much more. Generally it's around 100 kBit/s, but it
can go higher as well, up to around 120 kBit, so you definitely need
DSL to be able to listen to it, and you should use large enough buffer
sizes to avoid dropouts.

mpg123 doesn't work, but ogg123 should work. At least I can listen to
it from home with ogg123. Normally I use alsaplayer, though. It also
has a text-mode interface, which you can use with like this:

alsaplayer -i text http://dradio-live.ogg.t-bn.de/dlf_high.ogg

The text interface for alsaplayer is very nice actually, because you
can remote control it for various things like pause or play, volume
etc. which probably is useful for sight-impaired users.

I've heard that "wget http://dradio-live.ogg.t-bn.de/dlf_high.ogg" can
save the stream to a file, but of course I've never used that with a
cronjob to record late night programs. No, I never did that.

Ciao