Re: [linux-audio-user] My two best songs so far

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 00:03:59 EEST

On Fri, 26 May 2006 22:37:30 +0200
John Anderson <ardour@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

Hi,

Here are my brief impressions.

> http://www.semiosix.com/songs/firelightless.ogg

This one has a definite charm that installs itself despite the
percussion being - I find - a turn off from the start. It's a strong
piece, I find, that can live in a bare minimum, which is a pretty good
thing after all.

> http://www.semiosix.com/songs/thirty.ogg

This one does not give such an impression. It's nice, but there's no
focal point I find.

In both pieces the percussion could benefit a lot from not being so
straight forward. You write that you like real instruments, so the
percussion also should be real. With a percussion track that is
much more alive, then it's possible to redo the bass track to play some
hide and seek with the percussion. Only that would add much more of a
driving force (not in the sense of power, but in the sense of
tone colours).

Again, the first piece is quite good.

Cheers,

Al