RE: [linux-audio-user] Stretching with very high accuracy

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 00:15:03 EEST

If the two files are both mono and you want to make them stereo then
judicious sample insertion will probably work reasonably well. If they are
both stereo then you need to look further into resampling since you may not
be able to insert samples at the same point in each of the respective
channels, and excessive insertion into one channel will introduce skew into
an otherwise synchronous pair of channels.

What is the format of the files? Raw audio, WAV, etc? What is the rough
content - if the signal is constant than sample insertion is not easy since
you may not have periods of silence. If the signal does have silent periods
then the solution may be a noise gate that inserts samples - this would be
all but inaudible. There is no reason why this should not work from file to
file with 'cat oldfile | <program> > newfile so should not need to have the
lot in memory.

Have you mailed the LAD list - somebody might be happy to bolt something
together for you, its not actually a lot of work for mono tracks.

Regards.