Re: [linux-audio-user] streaming dvd audio over wlan

From: Brian Dunn <job17and9@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 04:34:52 EEST

c wrote:

>On Mon Jun 05, 2006 at 08:07:17PM -0500, Brian Dunn wrote:
>

>>Hi fellas.
>>I need some suggestions as to the best way to play audio from a dvd in my laptop on my desktop ( which is connected to my serious stereo ).
>>
>>the goal here is to be able to sit back on my couch and watch a movie on the laptop, but with my jawesome stereo for sound rather than the
>>pipsqueak built in speakers.
>>
>>The network is 802.11b, which i'm thinking won't have the bandwidth to handle netjack. Should I set up an mp3 or ogg vorbis stream server on my
>>laptop that i can then tune in on the desktop? if so, how do i handle syncronizing the sound on the desktop with the image on the laptop?
>>

>2 ideas come to mind. they both involve mplayer..
> - start playback on both at once, with a pair of xterms, a python script, ssh, whatever. one with -noaudio and one with -novideo
> - on the video machine, run jackd, ices-jack (in the 'kh' branch of their SVN last i checked), and mplayer -ao jack (set mplayer to autoconnect to ices, with jack.plumbing or qjackctl). on the server, run icecast, and mplayer http://localhost:8000/.ogg. the audio delay should be fairly consistent so you can fix it with either an audio predelay or a video delay argument to mplayer..
>
>might also want to check out NMM, its designed for this purpose. i just tend to find these other progs never play nearly as much stuff as mplayer..
>

>>I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of cool ideas you all may have.
>>
>>Brian

The ices idea works great. the delay is between 3 and 7 seconds, and
seems to vary randomly.
A couple of things for anyone else wanting to do this:
the ices-jack in the kh svn was broken when i tried this. the tarballs
for libshout and ices at karl.mediacast1.com work well.
also, mplayer on the video machine dropped the audio signal with a "too
many frames in the buffer" error whenever the delay was adjusted to
greater than 8 seconds. I fixed this by playing the stream on the audio
machine with the -cache 32 option, and also by disabling the burst on
connect option for the icecast server.

Now is there any way to get dvd menus in mplayer? or if not, how can i
figure out which track is the movie on a rented dvd? half the time the
first track is some trailer, or a special feature, or something.

Also, is jack realy required in this situation, or could i set up a
dummy pcm channel in alsa to send the audio to from mplayer and to read
it from in ices? (asoundrc?)

one last thing, c. I noticed that mplayer natively supports the network
audio system. So you don't have to use their limeted player to take
advantage of the networkness. Not that i know from personal experience,
or anything, but that is what it looks like.

thanks,
Brian