Re: [linux-audio-user] Interesting Tidbit: The Midas XL8 uses Linux

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 01:04:48 EEST

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 16:50 -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 14:23 -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Nvidia driver is a special case - it is not a derived work of the kernel
> > because they use the same binary blob the Windows driver uses.
> >
> > I covered this earlier in the thread.
> >

> That's merely semantics, you can use any binary blob you want as
> long as you don't derive from GPL'ed software. It makes absolutely no
> difference what it was "specifically designed" to run on. This is a
> matter of copyright law, not coding.

Um.... of course it's a matter of copyright law, that's what this thread
is about. Who said anything about coding?

My point was that as far as copyright law is concerned, a driver written
for the Linux kernel is a derived work of Linux.

Of course I could be wrong as it has not been tested in court, but that
seems to be the consensus among the kernel people who have talked to
lawyers about it.

Lee