Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 02:27:07 EEST

--- Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 6/21/06, Stephen Hassard <steve@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
> > Dave Robillard wrote:
> > > FWIW I've spent a (very) great deal of time,
> money, and effort building
> > > an (AGP) machine without a card which requires
> proprietary drivers for
> > > decent GL (namely a Radeon 9250).
> >
> > This seems the best route to go ATM, but does
> anyone have any
> > suggestions for doing something similar with a
> recent PCI-Express system?
> >
> > I see that Xorg is starting to support the ATI
> X800 line of cards using
> > the radeon driver, but DRI support seems very
> early. Also, 2D speed on
> > my X800 XL seems quite slow compared to the binary
> drivers, which is a
> > big deterrent from staying with the OSS drivers.
> >
> > later,
> > Steve
> >

> My nvidia (6600le pci-e) works okay with the open
> source drivers (nv)
> but forget gl stuff unless you use the nvidia
> drivers.

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Videocard0"
        Driver "mga"
        VendorName "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName "Matrox Graphics, Inc. G400/G450"

This is the one Link Swanson just brought over to the
studio and it's spanning dual screens running
"2.6.16-1.2080.13.rdt.rhfc5.ccrma".

I've had a couple hard lockups while configuring,
we'll see how stable it is as I run it.

Ron