Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 18:42:14 EEST

Esben Stien wrote:
> Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>

>> would anyone of you really spent € 280 for a 7800GT and use
>> (imaginatory) open source drivers instead of just get the same
>> performance from a €180 7600GT with closed source drivers ?
>>

> I would indeed do that and it's what I do today.
ok. i couldn't think of anyone doing that. i would not do it, as i am
quite comfortable w/ the closed driver, and can't see wha an open source
driver can give me that is worth €100. (i can see what an opensource
driver can give me,
but it's not worth €100 imho)

> This situation will
> turn in our favor if even more people could see that this is the only
> way we can make progress. By manifesting demand, more and more
> pressure will be visible.
how? you can not get any decent gfx performance w/ open source drivers.
ati X series can hardly be called high end, not to speak about intel
and via.

so you can boycott nvidia by buying <?> !
nvidia and ati are the only remaining high-end gfx chip vendors.

both have specs closed.

> If they don't bend on this subject, I'm sure
> we'll get a hero in the form of a free hardware project.

i think this doesn't work.
developing hardware is uber expensive, a set of masks for a chip
is $1M. as you need several masks, this would cost you ~ $10M at least.

i think this is too much money for an open organization.

FPGA is also not an option due to speed/power/etc.

also such a hardware would compete with via in the first place (slower
than intel)
but for via/intel specs are somewhat open.