Re: [linux-audio-user] which graphics card?

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 21:36:03 EEST

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 13:23 -0700, R Parker wrote:

> --- Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 12:52 -0700, R Parker wrote:
> > > I'd like the thing to
> > > be OSS and licensed GPL so Lee Revel doesn't rip
> > the
> > > jewels from my body when I ask for help
> > configuring
> > > it. Of course the card you recommend is gonna work
> > out
> > > of the box so Lee would never know if I'm sleeping
> > > with the devil...
> >
> > Wow.
>
> No! I meant it to be a joke and do prefer OSS and GPL
> which is why I asked.
>
> Is my position on closed source drivers really
> > considered
> > extremist on this list? It's shared by about 95% of
> > people on the
> > kernel list.
> >
> > Sorry, I will shut up about it if it's such a big
> > deal.
>
> It's a misunderstanding that's my fault. Your message
> is solid as ever and my interest is evidence of your
> effect. Please continue the good fight.
>
> What card should I buy? :)

There are PCI-E versions of direct ancestors of the old Matro G400
cards, which once upon a time had open drivers (Matrox has since been
putting Evil Inside(TM)).

Unless you happen to be a kernel hacker I guess that's not much use to
you, but the old AGP drivers could probably be ported to work with the
PCI-E cards with some work. I could go for a nice 3* DVI out PCI-E card
with open drivers :)

-DR-