Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 22 2006 - 05:48:48 EEST

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 02:17 +0000, carmen wrote:
> > Theres a typo there though: "Matrox 400+500" is supposed to
> > be "Matrox 450+550". I'm afraid of those cards. They
> > made my machines behave strangely, hanging, lots of cpu use.
>
> i had one of these in 2001, driving a dual setup. there were ghosts of
> the second screen on the first. and oddly, it was a ghost of the VGA
> screen on the DVI screen (at the time, the cards didnt have DVI, but
> they had this addon bridge thing which was unshielded pins to another
> connector on a second pci slot). the bottom line is, the signal
> quality was questionable, and the cards are massively obsolete.

I'd chalk that up to the weird DVI thingy. My G400 has (had, at least)
the best analog output quality of any card I compared it against (3dfx,
ati, nvidia offerings at the time)

They might be "obsolete", but if there were free drivers for it, I would
probably be the proud new owner of a dual DVI G*** right now.

-DR-