Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

From: Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 22 2006 - 08:15:32 EEST

Lee Revell escribió:
> On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 12:44 -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>> However for the video drivers, as was said in another post to this
>> thread by Rob, nVidia and ATi are not releasing specs for their
>> hardware for Open Source drivers due to incarnate battle over
>> features, price and performance... I would have to assume that an Open
>> Source driver initiative on at least the kernel end would be
>> tremendously helpful to prevent lockups and ease debugging, not to
>> mention that installing their binary X drivers would be much easier,
>> after all the kernel module pretty much is only a bridge between the X
>> driver and the hardware, the magic is done in the X driver, not the
>> kernel gateway (or am I terribly wrong here?)
> Unfortunately you are wrong. The nvidia kernel module contains a full
> OpenGL implementation :-P
> Lee
So virtually what they are doing is simply recycle their Windows GL
drivers for Linux...? I'm not that convinced, though, as they what is
implemented in their GL library (which is fairly large too) and their
nvidia X driver... If all was done in kernel space, couldn't they use
the nv driver as well as the "X Glue"? (only guessing here, I have no
experience whatsoever with kernel driver development)
Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -