Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording ADAT inputs on RME hammerfall 9636/52

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 00:48:49 EEST

--- Stephen Cameron <smcameron@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > I've been running my studio on a 50 foot snake;
> ADAT,
> > keyboard, mouse, spdif, power, etc, for several
> years.
> > No problems under any circumstances. Are you
> > experiencing something weird?
>
> No, not really. Just seems that most places sell
> cables
> up to 10m, and 10m seems to be the max distance
> recommended,
> and until you came along, I had not encountered
> anyone using
> 50 foot ADAT cables so I was a little bit worried
> that 50
> feet might prove to be a problem, so I was glad to
> be able
> to find out it doesn't seem to be a problem.

The only place I see problems on the 50ft snake is
with dual monitors. When the driver asks the monitors
what they are the second one doesn't always return an
answer. My assumption at the time was that the problem
was due to cable length. I wrote the display types
into the xorg.conf file which solves that. I'm no
longer convinced the problem was cable length. It's
probably a driver issue.

Ron