Re: [linux-audio-user] midi ctrl

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 25 2006 - 00:04:03 EEST

Lee Revell wrote:

>>Yes, I need to transform pitchbend or sustain etc (I can choose) continuous
>>controller data into midi note data.
>>The program I've got spews out ctrl data and I want it to send midi note data
>>instead. There must be a linux program that can do that?
>>

>Why would you expect there to be an app that can do this? It's a very
>strange thing to want to do.

As William Gibson puts it, "The street finds its own uses for these
things".

MIDI event mapping isn't a very strange thing at all, unless you can't
imagine any uses for it.

>How do you expect control data to be mapped to note on/note off?
>
>You can of course write your own program to do this.

Or he can use Pd, as others point out.

To the original poster:

  Pd can easily do what you want, but you should be aware that there is
some variety in the types of MIDI continuous controllers that you may
have to consider. Many controllers, such as mod wheel or volume control,
define the same range of values as note-on/off messages, i.e., 0 to 127.
In those cases the mapping is straightforward. However, pitch bend has a
range from -32768 to 32768 (IIRC), so the mapping is not linear. It is
also possible to append an extension message to controllers 0-31 that
raises their resolution from 128 steps to 16384. So you have something
to think about before assuming the map is 1 to 1.

My advice: Try Pd, it's a delight anyway, and you'll have advice and
encouragement from Frank Barknecht, a true Pd virtuoso.

We await the day that the Yamaha MEP4 appears as a standalone Linux
binary. ;)

Best,

dp