Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question

From: Maarten de Boer <mdeboer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 16:14:33 EEST

Hi,

John's post and mine crossed eachother, and they do not contradict :-)
Just one point:

John wrote:
> Fans and hard drives are the noisiest components. So if you have quiet
> PSU and CPU fans (and GPU if it's a powerful nvidia), the next step is
> to get a hard drive enclosure.

Note that the P150 case has a nice system for mounting the harddrives,
with rubber bands, which at least dampens some of the vibrations.

There is also quite some difference in noise level of harddrives, but
sadly even between harddrives of the same model (but different
revisions). The seagate barracuda IV's were known for being very quiet,
but later versions (due to a patent dispute with samsung i believe)
are noisier...

And I just remembered the name of the reverse engineered onboard ethernet
driver: forcedeth

Maarten