Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 question

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 27 2006 - 20:51:44 EEST

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 14:52 +0200, John Anderson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 08:30 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > 6) How can I best reduce the noise from this system ?
>
> Fans and hard drives are the noisiest components. So if you have quiet
> PSU and CPU fans (and GPU if it's a powerful nvidia), the next step is
> to get a hard drive enclosure. Or maybe go for a 2.5 inch laptop drive,
> bearing in mind that the throughput is lower. Although I read recently
> that laptop drives aren't as slow as they used to be and can be used
> acceptably in a desktop system.

I've had mixed results with hard disk enclosures. One I tried muted the
spindle noise a bit but actually amplified the seek noise. It was better
to just leave the drive out of the box (I guess it depends on which
noise you find more annoying).

Re: cases/noise control, I used the Antec Sonata a couple of years ago,
if coupled with a no-fan power supply it becomes quite quiet (I tried
the Antec Phantom 350W). Zalman CPU coolers would be my choice if you
have to have fans. The best option is _no_ fans, Zalman's TNN500 (or
TNN300 for mini-itx mobos) is the choice if you have the money to spare.
It is incredible to have a cluster of 12 machines running full tilt - if
you can hear noise in the room it is probably a laptop somewhere :-)

-- Fernando