Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Gneutronica-0.33 release

From: Stephen Cameron <smcameron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 05:07:27 EEST

--- Dragan Noveski <perodog@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> ok, thank stephen, downloading and compiling works good now,
> but when i start from xterm "gneutronica", i get th eprog started, but
> there are no audio outputs on it (and also only midi outputs), so
> arranging the instrument seems to be easy, but playing the loop, no sound?!
> is there another way to start?
> what am i doing wrong?

Nothing, you aren't doing anything wrong.

Gneutronica is strictly MIDI, there is no audio output. If you want
host-based audio, you need to run a MIDI controllable softsynth, (e.g
fluidsynth is one I've messed around with successfully) and find some
percussion sound fonts, and drive the softsynth with gneutronica.

Or, load some soundfonts into your soundcard, and drive that
via MIDI. You will want to make a drumkit file, if the soundfont
doesn't conform to GM (General MIDI) drum mappings.

There is a whiff of documentation here, just point your browser...
file:///usr/local/share/gneutronica/documentation/gneutronica.html
There are a number of UI idiosyncracies you are unlikely to discover
without reading that, btw.

Yeah, setting all that up is kind of a pain, compared to how hydrogen
just fires up and makes sounds right away. Keep in mind, I wrote this
to drive MIDI hardware. Softsynths were a nice bonus.

I have not found many decent soundfonts though. I haven't looked
very hard though, as I have decent MIDI hardware I can use. Doesn't
mean there aren't any... NSKit, http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ gets
mentioned a lot, but I haven't the patience to download the
monstrosity over dialup, LOL.

If you have hydrogen installed, you might be able to drive it with
gneutronica (though that might be kind of silly, unless you're using
gneutronica for the handful of things it can do that hydrogen can't do,
weird timing being the main one, and for all I know perhaps that has
changed since I last checked on h2.)

My motivation for writing this thing was partly due to having three
different, pretty expensive MIDI devices lying around and no good
(in my subjective view anyway) software to drive them with for
drums. So the target user for gneutronica is very slightly different
than the target user of Hydrogen.

Hope that helps,

-- steve